The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) is a government department in the UK. The Department is responsible for making policy and legislation, and working with others to deliver our policies in - areas such as:
- the natural environment, biodiversity, plants and animals
- sustainable development and the green economy
- food, farming and fisheries
- animal health and welfare
- environmental protection and pollution control
- rural communities and issues.
There are number of Agencies and Non-Departmental Public Bodies (NDPBs) that employ Prospect members in support of these objectives and these are set out below:
- Veterinary Medicines Directorate - VMD is the responsible, safe and effective use of veterinary medicinal products. Prospect represents Senior Research Officers, Veterinary Research Officers and Scientists.
- Marine Management Organisation – MMO is responsible for marine planning and licensing, managing the UK fishing fleet and UK fishing quotas, working with other organisations to create and manage a network of marine protected areas and to respond to any marine emergencies. Prospect represents Fisheries Officers throughout England.
- Animal Health and Plant Health Agency– APHAis responsible for safeguarding animal health and welfare as well as public health, protecting the economy and enhancing food security through research, surveillance and inspection. Prospect represents scientific, Veterinary and Technical staffs, together with administrative and other specialist staffs from ex-Veterinary Laboratories Agency (VLA)
- Centre for Environment Fisheries and Aquaculture Science – Cefas is a research establishment dealing with the effects of climate change, sustainable fisheries management, marine biodiversity and habitats, fish and shellfish health and marine emergency response. Prospect represents scientific grades across all CEFAS locations.
- Rural Payments Agency – RPA is responsible for processing payments and receipts, conducting inspections and recording animal identification to government and the rural community. Prospect represents Horticultural Marketing Inspectors across a number of locations.
- Natural England - Natural England is an Executive Non-departmental Public Body responsible for protecting and improving England’s natural environment and encouraging people to enjoy and get involved in their surroundings. Prospect represents members employed in both Advisor and Specialist roles.
- Core-Defra – Members employed in the core-department principally deliver work in relation to policy objectives. Scientific Staffs, Information Officers and Communication Officers are employed in the core-department.