Influential, independent – putting members first
Often when I am visiting Prospect members in workplaces or at events, I am asked about Prospect’s political affiliation. Many people think all unions are part of the Labour Party.
Prospect is not. We are proud to be an independent union. That doesn’t mean we don’t campaign – but everything we do is based on putting members first.
Currently, we are campaigning for an end of the 1% pay cap and decent investment in public services, in the Brexit debate to ensure our members interests are protected
in negotiations, and in all workplaces for equality and good work. If there’s a particular priority you want us to focus on in your workplace, please speak to your local rep, your full-time Prospect officer, or email me directly. Our role is always to be your expert and independent voice at work.
Please spread the word among your colleagues that we put our members’ interests above all else, and ask non-members to join. The more members we have in every workplace in the UK, the stronger our voice to speak on your behalf.
Prospect deputy general secretary
Prospect has won compensation for the widow of a retired engineer who was diagnosed with mesothelioma in July 2016 and died in May this year.
Unfortunately, Sam Pedder died before the case was heard but with the support of Prospect and our legal team, his widow Gillian brought the claim to trial and achieved a settlement that went some way to achieving Sam’s aims.
It’s no use Ryanair calling for the resilience of air traffic control to be improved unless it’s prepared to pay for the staffing levels required, Prospect has argued. The airline has insisted on cutting the amount it contributes.
Prospect has been supporting members in the LGBT+ community this summer by taking part in Pride events across the UK.
Our LGBT+ network provides a provide a safe space for LGBT+ members to share issues, experiences and best practice at work. You don’t have to be LGBT+ to join – anyone who cares about making their workplace more inclusive is welcome. Email email@example.com.
OUR LATEST BLOGS
Pensions: What could Brexit mean for your pension?
JUST FOR MEMBERS
- Prospect Young Professionals Network is holding its annual forum from Saturday 11 November to Sunday 12 November at the People’s History Museum in Manchester. It’s open to all members aged 30 and under. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jordan Stapleton 07595 204 500 for a registration form.
- Prospect will be responding to the Migration Advisory Committee consultation on European Economic Area workers in the UK labour market. Email any comments to email@example.com by Tuesday 3 October.
- Regular voluntary overtime payments should be included when calculating holiday pay, the Employment Appeal Tribunal has ruled – download a Prospect briefing.
ALSO THIS MONTH
- Prospect wants defence company Babcock International to alter plans to reduce the costs of its Group Pension Scheme, including inducements for members to leave
- Why civil servants shouldn’t check their emails on holiday – deputy general secretary Garry Graham in Civil Service World
- Don’t call Saul, call Prospect! Young people’s employment law questions answered in our Facebook live video.
Did you know you can recruit a colleague and claim £10?
For every member you recruit to Prospect, you can claim a £10 voucher or ask Prospect to donate to a charity. The more members we have, the stronger our voice.
Tell us if your details have changed
Have you downloaded our Profile app yet?
Download our Profile app if you'd like Prospect news delivered direct to your Apple or Android smart phone. Find out more and view instructions on our website.
To keep up to date with Prospect news, events, live videos and information, make sure you follow us on Facebook.
If you believe we should invest in strong public services for the future, email your MP using our simple campaigning tool. It only takes a couple of minutes, and we have provided sample text you can either send or amend.