STEM careers are integral to the UK's success: we are the world's sixth-largest manufacturer; engineering turnover is £800 billion per year, and while we make up only 1% of the world's population, we produce 10% of the world's top scientific research.
Yet despite this, only 13% of STEM employees are women, less than 7% of engineering professionals are women; and only 1% of skilled tradespeople.
Prospect has over 14,000 female members working in STEM. Alongside our support for all members, Prospect helps women in STEM by:
- Running our equality network - WISENET - which all women members working in STEM automatically join
- Organising workplace networking events
- Campaigning for a culture change and a coherent strategy to create more supportive working environments for women in STEM
- Encouraging more women to consider STEM careers
Here are six other great reasons to join Prospect today:
1. Three months free protection, advice and support at work!
Your membership is free for the first three months. It's on us! After that, low monthly rates based on your salary apply.
2. Expert, independent advice when you need it
One-to-one employment law, contract and workplace advice at any time.
3. We'll pay your legal fees
If you’re unfairly made redundant, fired, or discriminated against, we’ll pay your legal fees if you have a strong case.
4. We'll support your career
Training, mentoring, networking and a voice in your industry.
5. We can negotiate your pay, terms and conditions
If we have enough members in one workplace, we will negotiate with the employer to get a better deal for everyone.
6. We'll save you money
Discounts, collective energy switching, a free 24-hour legal line, free financial advice, insurance deals and many more.