Why have over 142,000 people decided to join Prospect?
- We provide expert, independent advice when you need it. As a Prospect member, you can access one-to-one employment law, contract and workplace advice at any time throughout your career. However we can't help you if you contact us after you have a problem at work, so make sure you join before you need help.
- We pay your legal fees. Your legal fees will be paid in full if you have a good case for representation in a court or employment tribunal - for example, if you’re unfairly made redundant, fired, or discriminated against. This includes the cost of counsel to represent you where required (subject to Prospect's terms and conditions for legal support, which you can download here.)
- We support your career. Prospect offers training, mentoring, networking and the opportunity to have a voice in your industry. With over 142,000 members, we can connect you to other successful people in your field.
- We can negotiate your pay, terms and conditions. If we have enough members in one workplace, we will negotiate with the employer to get a better deal for everyone. We can also help individuals who might have an equal pay claim – for example where men are paid more than women for the same work.
- We save you money. Prospect provides financial discounts to members that can more than cover the cost of your annual subscription. These include university discounts, collective energy switching, a free 24-hour legal line, free financial advice, insurance deals and many more. Click here to read more about these discounts.
Who is Prospect?
Prospect is a non-profit, politically independent collective, run by members for members. All membership subscriptions go back into supporting you at work and in your future career.
Our members work in areas as diverse as agriculture, defence, energy, environment, heritage, shipbuilding, film, theatre, telecoms and transport. They range from air traffic controllers to archaeologists, web developers to industrial chemists, directors to draughtsmen, vehicle examiners to vets. They include graduate trainees, apprentices, freelancers and short-term contractors as well as permanent staff.
If you're not sure what a trade union is, click here to read a bit more about Prospect and how we work. You can also read some of the ways we've helped other members here. Or go straight to our application form if you're ready to apply.
Please note that if you work in film, theatre or broadcasting you probably need to join through our BECTU website. You can access the BECTU application form here. If you're not sure which application form to use, send us an email or phone our member contact centre between 8:30am and 7pm, Monday to Friday on 0300 600 1878.
How much will it cost?
The monthly rate you pay as a Prospect member depends on your salary. When you click on through to our application form, we'll give you a quote for how much you'll pay before we collect any personal details.
Am I locked into a contract?
No. You can cancel your Prospect membership at any time by emailing us or ringing our member contact centre. There is no minimum length of membership, although most members choose to stay with us throughout their career.
Still have questions?
We are happy to chat to you over the phone or via email if you want to know more about what Prospect membership could do for you. You can contact our membership team at email@example.com or phone us on 0300 600 1878.
If you work in the media and entertainment industry, please visit our BECTU sector website