Health & safety
Promoting health, safety & well-being is a Prospect priority delivered through organised workplace rep activity, campaigns and policy influence. Our guidance includes:
Health & safety in the workplace
6 health & safety reasons our members give for joining:
- Easy to understand - nobody wants to be hurt
- Everyone cares about life and death, don't they
- Community support is generated and can be inspirational
- health and safety reps reduce accidents & ill health by 50%
- Winnable - the union swiftly makes a difference: good news for you and your employer
- the expertise we gain from the health & safety practitioners we represent.
For success, health and safety must be integral to our workplace activity. Many bargaining matters have health and safety risks.
- organisational change and restructuring
- staffing levels
- absence management
- harassment and bullying.
Coherence between H&S reps and other lay reps within branches and Prospect officers is vital. Make sure you know and engage your H&S reps. H&S reps make sure you are known to your constituents and within your branch.
The TUC has developed helpful guidance on organising for health and safety in pdf and tablet/smart phone format.
New for 2017!
At Prospect's Health and Safety Conference "Taking Time, Saving Lives", we launched new guidance for members and reps. Click here to view the new guides plus conference presentations.
Maximum temperature - the TUC's campaign for a maximum legal temperature has been supported in the Commons by an early day motion.
Relax dress codes - the TUC issued a press release urging employers to help staff cope with the heatwave.
Sun Safety - 90% of all skin cancer deaths could be prevented by controlling exposure to the ultraviolet rays in sunlight. A tan is a sign that the skin has been damaged. If you work outside:
- cover up! including your head
- use sunscreen (provided by your employer)
- take breaks in the shade
- be skin safe
For more information, including your employer's duties to you, go to:
Health and safety campaigns
Influencing health & safety policy
Prospect's health & safety research officer seeks to:
- engage with others, locally and nationally
- offer your voice to shaping policy, research, campaigns and compliance
- gather and disseminate information to support organising and negotiating teams, Branches, reps and members
- respond to requests for specialist support made via your full-time officer.
The NEC Health & Safety Advisory Committee provides a strategic link with our members.