Work-related road risk
Driving is the most dangerous work risk for many Prospect members. Around 1,000 people are killed in work-related road accidents on UK roads.
Seasonal driving: winter
- Prospect Members' Guide 26 'Safe driving and work-related road risk'
- HSE work-related road safety
- Highway Code
- Avoiding backpain: Vehicle ergonomics from the Highways Agency
What are the hazards?
- road type
- time allocated to travelling
- time of travel (some hours are higher risk)
- weather conditions
- speed limits and
- familiarity with the route.
- distractions, eg mobile phones/mobile data terminals
- familiarity with the vehicle controls and responses
- loads to be carried
- safety specifications, eg driver and passenger airbags, ABS, EuroNCAP star rating
- defect identification and correction
- mechanical defect
- potential for injury, eg from mobile phone mounting.
- competence and attitude
- stress/ fatigue - the cause of 1/4 fatal or serious crashes
- health and fitness
- alcohol and drugs
- selection – qualified and assessed
Campaigns and resources
ROSPA - With DfT funding, RoSPA has a wide range of free resources for specific road users: drivers, motorcyclists, pedestrians and pedal cyclists and also employers, parents and road safety practitioners.
Brake - interactive educational activities
Prospect benefits & services
- Motor Insurance - CSMA Club members receive competitive rates on car insurance
- Young drivers can save money with i-Kube, which tracks their driving patterns and has incentives to stay off the road between 9pm and 5am when they are statistically more likely to be in a crash
- Prospect’s personal injury scheme provides members with expert advice, and where appropriate, representation through our solicitors.
We are interested in your views and welcome suggestions on how these webpages could be improved or your ideas for new content you would like to see. Please email us at SafetyReps@prospect.org.uk