Health & safety
Promoting health, safety and well-being is a Prospect priority. We deliver it through organised workplace rep activity, campaigns and policy influence. Our guidance includes:
Health & safety in the workplace
6 health & safety reasons our members give for joining:
- Easy to understand - nobody wants to be hurt
- Everyone cares about life and death, don't they
- Community support is generated and can be inspirational
- health and safety reps reduce accidents & ill health by 50%
- Winnable - the union swiftly makes a difference: good news for you and your employer
- the expertise we gain from the health & safety practitioners we represent.
For success, health and safety must be integral to our workplace activity. Many bargaining matters have health and safety risks.
- organisational change and restructuring
- staffing levels
- absence management
- harassment and bullying.
Coherence between H&S reps and other lay reps within branches and Prospect officers is vital. Make sure you know and engage your H&S reps. H&S reps make sure you are known to your constituents and within your branch.
The TUC has developed helpful guidance on organising for health and safety in pdf and tablet/smart phone format.
Maximum temperature - the TUC's campaign for a maximum legal temperature has been supported in the Commons by an early day motion.
Relax dress codes - the TUC issued a press release urging employers to help staff cope with the heatwave.
Sun Safety - 90% of all skin cancer deaths could be prevented by controlling exposure to the ultraviolet rays in sunlight. A tan is a sign that the skin has been damaged. If you work outside:
- cover up! including your head
- use sunscreen (provided by your employer)
- take breaks in the shade
- be skin safe
For more information, including your employer's duties to you, go to:
Health and safety campaigns
Influencing health & safety policy
Prospect's health & safety research officer seeks to:
- engage with others, locally and nationally
- offer your voice to shaping policy, research, campaigns and compliance
- gather and disseminate information to support organising and negotiating teams, Branches, reps and members
- respond to requests for specialist support made via your full-time officer.
The NEC Health & Safety Advisory Committee provides a strategic link with our members.