Supporting quality apprenticeships
Apprenticeships are undergoing a revolution. Starting in May 2017, all employers operating in the UK with an annual pay bill over £3 million will have to pay a levy to the government. This will be used to fund the creation of up to 3 million new 'high quality' apprenticeships by 2020; employers will be able to tap into the funding for their own apprenticeship training and assessment programmes.
We will see apprenticeships expand across areas such as engineering, science, procurement, marketing, digital and health protection, and there will be higher-level apprenticeships in many of the industries where Prospect is active.
Prospect supports quality apprenticeships and wants to play a key role in the programme.
We are launching a strategy that will include a range of supporting initiatives for apprentices. This will be piloted in a number of our branches before being rolled out more widely, and will include:
- support to ensure apprentices get the most from their training
- a tailored value-added career and personal development programme held in the workplace
- the development of apprentice mentors who will be trained in areas such as assertiveness, presentation skills and mental health awareness.
- professional registration awareness training including access to a RegTech adviser for Eng/IT/Science-related apprenticeships.
- details about careers, information forums and events
- a branch-led intelligence-gathering tool to establish the current, and projected, picture of apprenticeships in workplaces where Prospect is recognised.
Apprentices joining Prospect will pay a competitive subscription rate based on their salary, and will receive our core membership benefits such as informal and individual support and advice on issues at work, and collective representation. Members aged 30 or under will automatically belong to our national Young Professionals’ Network and, where available, can join their own branch YPNs.
- Branches, if you want to know more about our pilot scheme please contact firstname.lastname@example.org