Prospect UK Research and Innovation
Prospect – Protecting YOUR Interests in UKRI
Welcome to the Prospect UKRI Branch ESite. This page outlines the role that Prospect provides within UKRI. Prospect members also have access to members only pages where further information is available. If you would like to join Prospect, please click here.
The Prospect Trade Union protects and supports members at work – collectively and for individuals in difficulty. We are run and funded by members, and are the largest UK union for those working in public sector science and engineering. Prospect is politically independent with leading national campaigns that include challenging the Government imposed pay cap, and supporting our EU National colleagues through the uncertain times of Brexit. Locally, your union is run by colleagues who work alongside you at UKRI and who give up their time to protect your interests and influence positive change.
Here are a few recent achievements that we have made on your behalf…
- UKRI Pay Scales The pay scales adopted for UKRI are based on those used for the Harmonised Pay group (AHRC, BBSRC, EPSRC, ESRC & STFC). These are equivalent to the NERC and MRC bands in terms of their responsibility (JEGS score) but the band minima are higher than the NERC and MRC scales for the majority of bands. Initial proposals were for UKRI to have minima lower than those of the harmonised pay group, but we managed to protect the band minima for all new starters and staff on promotion. We are now working hard to ensure the minima of the NERC, MRC and Innovate UK pay scales are uplifted to match the UKRI scales
- Terms and Conditions for UKRI Prospect managed to ensure that the T&Cs for UKRI new starters (including those gaining promotion and so taking on UKRI terms) are not inferior to existing terms for transferring staff. Again, these are based on the existing harmonised terms and conditions used across the research councils, giving us a strong negotiating base. There was strong pressure to make many of the existing terms non-contractual for UKRI, meaning they could be altered by the employer without union agreement, but we successfully negotiated a process for reviewing existing terms over the next 18 months. This ensures that detrimental changes cannot be imposed.
- Union recognition for all staff The union recognition agreement that replaces separate agreements for each organisation gives a strong voice for members on local issues, whilst ensuring all unions have a say in negotiations across UKRI, both now and into the future. Areas such as Innovate UK, where there was no union recognition previously, now have the same structure as other parts of UKRI and new starters will have the right to representation and influence.
- Recognition for staff in Centres and Institutes Whilst the majority of administration takes place at Head Office, and the new UKRI strategy team are based in London, the majority of staff in UKRI are based in Centres and Institutes across the UK. For STFC in particular, their administration is also spread across the Council institutes. We were successful in ensuring that the impact of decisions, in particular regarding restructuring and redeployment opportunities, reflected the interests of all staff, not just those at head office.
Prospect membership also provides access to a range of services. All members are entitled to these individual services. Many are unique to our members, some apply to family members too and most are free (as indicated). You can find out more by visiting our website: http://www.prospect.org.uk and selecting 'Member Benefits' from the banner across the top of the screen. Many other services are available to members via the website too...
- 24-hour legal helpline - for any legal matter that might arise outside work (housing, family, motoring, consumer etc). Free to members. telephone 0808 281 9328 (quoting membership no)
- Will-writing - Free wills where assets are left to spouse, partner, child, relative or friend. telephone 0808 281 9328 (quoting membership no)
- Financial advice - pensions, savings, mortgages, insurance advice free to members from our chosen provider of 10 years: Lighthouse Finance Advice. telephone 0800 085 8590
- Prospect Extra - price comparison service designed to help members to locate good deals on products and receive cashback on purchases.
- Benevolent Fund - applications can be made to this fund for members and their dependents in financial distress. Awards are at the trustees' discretion, but all requests are considered sympathetically.
- Energy comparison service - 'Uchange4better' is an impartial service that compares prices of every energy supplier and tariffs available to your home. telephone 0845 652 2508
- Health plans - help with medical expenses, dental care and optician fees through plans that can save you money.
- University discounts - Birbeck College (University of London) and the National Extension College offer discounts for members on course fees.
- Cinema Society - up to 40% off cinema tickets for members at over 300 cinemas in the UK.
The views expressed on this site are not necessarily the views of Prospect nationally.