Prospect policy backs new nuclear build as a vital part of the balanced energy mix needed if the UK is to meet its twin future challenges of low carbon energy and security of supply.
Prospect has members in each of the 19 licensed nuclear sites and associated civil nuclear liabilities in the UK – making it the largest union representing workers in the UK nuclear industry.
The union's 12,000 nuclear industry members are employed in:
- power generation
- waste management
- research and technology
- fuel manufacturing
- safety assessment and regulation
- contractors and the supply chain
- training organisations
- government policy.
In addition to campaigning on our members' behalf for decent pay and careers, and a safe and stable work environment, Prospect also speaks nationally on their behalf on a range of stakeholder bodies such as:
- the National Skills Academy
- the Department of Energy and Climate Change's National Nuclear Development Forum
- the Office for Nuclear Regulation's Transition Advisory Committee
- and Trade Unionists for Safe Nuclear Energy.