Health & safety
Promoting health, safety & well-being is a Prospect priority delivered through organised workplace rep activity, campaigns and policy influence. Our guidance includes:
Health & safety in the workplace
SIX health & safety reasons our members give for joining:
- it's easy to understand - nobody wants to be hurt
- everyone cares about life and death, don't they
- community support is generated and can be inspirational
- health and safety reps reduce accidents & ill health by 50%
- the union swiftly makes a difference: win-wins for you and your employer
- the expertise we gain from the health & safety practitioners we represent.
Download 2016 TUC guidance on organising for health and safety in pdf or tablet/smart phone format.
For success, health and safety must be integral to our workplace activity. Many bargaining matters have health and safety risks.
- organisational change and restructuring
- staffing levels
- absence management
- harassment and bullying.
So coherence between H&S reps and other lay reps within branches and Prospect officers is vital. Make sure you know and engage your H&S reps. H&S reps make sure you are known to your constituents and within your branch.
Please keep your on-line membership records up-to-date. For H&S reps, this ensures you receive bulletins, circulars and other notifications. If in doubt, please contact our membership department by email or phone 01932 577007.
Health & safety Campaigns
Influencing health & safety policy
Prospect's health & safety research officer seeks to:
- engage with others, locally and nationally
- offer your voice to shaping policy, research, campaigns and compliance
- gather and disseminate information to support organising and negotiating teams, Branches, reps and members
- respond to requests for specialist support made via your full-time officer.
The NEC Health & Safety Advisory Committee provides a strategic link with our members.