Your employment rights
If you've got a query about your rights at work, Prospect can help. As well as dealing with members' individual queries we produce an employment rights factcard, and a series of members' guides covering key issues in more detail.
- Am I entitled to a contract setting out the terms of my employment?
- I have applied for promotion to the next grade several times, but am never successful. In the last promotion round I was sure I was well qualified and suited for promotion. I am now beginning to think that this is due to my race. Can I take a claim to an employment tribunal?
- I have been working at my job for several years and a new person has just been recruited to do the same job as I do, but they are being paid £3,000 per year more than I am. Am I not entitled to equal pay?
- I have been off work with chronic fatigue syndrome for several months, my doctor thinks I am ready to go back but that I should have a gradual return to work, rather than going back to full duties immediately. Can I ask my employer for this?
- How much annual leave am I entitled to?
- Can my employer insist I work on bank holidays?
Do you need advice or help with a work-related issue?
Employment law resources
Updated factcard outlining your legal rights at work as at April 2013.