Prospect, union for professionals
Our members are engineers, scientists, managers and specialists in areas as diverse as agriculture, defence, energy, environment, heritage, shipbuilding, telecoms and transport. We are the largest union in the UK representing professional engineers.
We are independent and forward-looking, and the diversity of our membership continues to grow. Over the past two years, members of the Jersey civil service association, the Association of Licensed Aircraft Engineers, and Connect became part of Prospect.
What we do
Prospect advises, defends and supports members if they have a problem at work. We also:
- negotiate pay and conditions
- campaign for jobs and standards
- offer valuable benefits and services
- influence employers and government.
We negotiate with more than 300 employers, not just on pay and conditions but on a range of issues that affect our members' working lives: career development, contracts of employment, hours, leave, maternity, pensions, performance pay, promotion procedures, privatisation and company takeovers.
We are also an experienced campaigning body. Prospect is non-party political. But our members' expertise makes our voice count. On broad issues like energy policy and the quality of public services we bring members' views to the notice of key decision-makers such as:
- government ministers and MPs
- consumer bodies
- industry and professional bodies
- the public at large.
We have the resources to be effective:
- over £16m a year in income, drawn from around 120,000 members across hundreds of companies and public bodies
- A London headquarters and offices across the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man
- more than 40 full-time professional negotiators
- specialist research, pensions, legal, education, communication and organisation departments
- a network of around 5,000 safety and workplace representatives
- a skills training programme for representatives.